A Stunning Sound Experience.
The MC451 Dual Mono Amplifier joins the MC901 in offering the ultimate solution to bi-amping a loudspeaker. Like the MC901, the MC451 uses our Hybrid Drive™ technology that combines a separate vacuum tube and solid state amplifier onto one single chassis to produce the best possible sound performance from a bi-ampable speaker. Unlike the larger MC901, the MC451 has a more conventional McIntosh form factor and size, allowing it to fit into home audio systems, racks, and furniture more easily. Adding a pair of MC451s to your stereo system will allow your prized speakers to perform like never before.
The MC451 comes with a multitude of other McIntosh amplifier the technologies:
- Power Guard® that monitors and adjusts the input signal in the 300 Watt solid state amplifier section in real time, then makes inconspicuous volume adjustments to prevent harsh sounding distortion and potential speaker damaging clipping.
- Power Guard Screen Grid Sensor® (SGS). The 150 Watt vacuum tube amplifier section features our Power Guard SGS® technology. Power Guard SGS helps prevent premature vacuum tube failure by monitoring the screen grid current in the KT88 output vacuum tubes. If the current becomes too high, a circuit in Power Guard SGS is activated which then dynamically attenuates the input signal in real time to keep the vacuum tubes operating at safe levels.
- Sentry Monitor™ observes the output current and shuts the amplifier off if it ever exceeds safe limits.
- Power Control that can send power on/off signals to other connected McIntosh components for easy system power up and shutdown.
- Our patented, gold-plated Solid Cinch™ speaker binding posts that easily and securely attach the speaker cables.
- A McIntosh Monogrammed Heatsink™ that is connected to advanced high current output transistors to efficiently cool the solid state amplifier section.
- Our Power Management System that will turn the entire unit off after a set amount of time when no input signal has been detected.
- Includes our Hybrid Drive™ technology that uses the best of vacuum tubes and solid state to produce the best sound performance
- Designed with bi-amping loudspeakers in mind
- 150 Watt vacuum tube amplifier and 300 Watt solid state amplifier on one chassis
- Vacuum tube section powers mid and upper drivers
- Solid state section drives power hungry woofers
- DualView™ Power Output Meter
- Power Output per Channel
- Solid State section: 300 Watts @ 2, 4 or 8 Ohms
Vacuum Tube section: 150 Watts @ 2, 4 or 8 Ohms
- Number of Channels
- Total Harmonic Distortion
- Solid State section: 0.005% maximum harmonic distortion at any power level from 250 milliwatts to rated power, 20Hz to 20,000Hz
Vacuum Tube section: 0.5% maximum harmonic distortion at any power level from 250 milliwatts to rated power, 20Hz to 20,000Hz
- S/N below rated output
- Solid State section: 118dB
Vacuum Tube section: 112dB
- Dynamic Headroom
- Solid State section: 2.5dB
Vacuum Tube section: 1.2dB
- Damping Factor
- Solid State section: >40
Vacuum Tube section: >18
- Rated Power Band
- Solid State section: 20Hz to 20kHz
Vacuum Tube section: 20Hz to 20kHz
- Frequency Response
- Solid State section:
+0, -0.25dB from 20Hz to 20,000Hz
+0, -3dB from 10Hz to 100,000Hz
Vacuum Tube section:
+0, -0.5dB from 20Hz to 20,000Hz
+0, -3dB from 10Hz to 70,000Hz
- Unit Dimensions (W x H x D)
- 17-7/8" (45.4cm) x 11-13/16" (30cm) x 21-1/2" (54.6cm)
- Unit Weight
- 133 lbs (60.3 kg)