The iFi Zen DAC V2 is a portable USB headphone amp and digital audio converter built to accommodate a wide variety of headphones and in-ear monitors, delivering high-fidelity PCM, DSD, and DXD audio. The unit is well suited for use as a compact desktop USB DAC and amp; simply connect to your computer's USB port, which also supplies the unit with power, and plug in your favorite headphones. Alternatively, you can use the device as a DAC with a pair of active speakers or connected to an external amplifier. Compared to the original Zen DAC, this model improves the clock stability and allows for MQA decoding straight from the DAC itself, so you can use it with Tidal's hi-fi tier.
The ZEN DAC V2 offers Hi-Res True Native playback of all music formats from MP3 to DSD256, PCM384, and DXD384.
MQA is an audio technology that enables music fans to stream the original master recording into their home, car, or their mobile device. MQA (Master Quality Authenticated) is supported through the USB with full decoding of MQA files up to 384 kHz, thanks to the processing power of the new 16-core XMOS chip. This means that the full decoding process is performed internally, as opposed to only the final unfold in the manner of an MQA renderer.
Improved Clock over Original
Extensive jitter-eradication technologies are applied to the digital stage, including an GMT (Global Master Timing) femto-precision clock and the intelligent memory buffer. The low-jitter crystal clock has been updated to provide >20 dB better performance.
XMOS 16-Core Chip for Stability and Performance
The XMOS 16-core chip processes the audio data received via the USB and S/PDIF digital inputs. This new low-latency XMOS microcontroller has greatly enhanced processing power. Compared to the current generation of 8-core chips, this new 16-core IC delivers double the clock speed (2000 MIPS) and four times the memory (512KB), as well as the latest SuperSpeed USB standard. iFi's in-house digital development team has programmed the XMOS firmware to optimize sound quality and ensure a perfect partnership with the Burr-Brown DAC.
Burr-Brown Converter Chipset
The Burr-Brown True Native chipset means file formats remain unchanged or bit-perfect. This means you are listening to music as the artist intended in the format in which it was recorded. iFi uses Burr Brown extensively in their products, having selected them for their natural-sounding musicality and True Native architecture.
Balanced Headphone Output
In addition to the standar 1/4" TRS Headphone jack, the DAC offers a 4.4mm balanced output. Balanced circuits often reduce noise and crosstalk. Less Interference equals a clearer sound. You normally find balanced outputs at products in the higher end of the price spectrum. However, iFi is now using this across its range to produce the best quality audio for all its customers.
Flexible or Variable Outputs
You can switch effortlessly between variable and fixed options to suit your setup. Set to Variable, the ZEN DAC V2 works as a preamp to feed a power amp or active speakers. Set to Fixed, the unit bypasses the volume control, and you can connect to an external preamp or integrated amp.
PowerMatch Headphone Performance
The headphone amp has PowerMatch, which acts as a switchable gain to perfectly match your headphones. For IEMs, which are normally rated as exhibiting high sensitivity, you can leave PowerMatch at its lower setting for hiss-free listening. On- and over-ear headphones with relatively low impedances, on the other hand, require more power. So, you can press PowerMatch to increase the level of drive.
Bass On Tap
The ZEN DAC V2 boasts TrueBass. This proprietary tech is a switchable bass boost operating in the analog domain. There's no DSP with iFi gear. TrueBass enhances the bass but does not muddy the midrange. It's quite suited for IEMs or open-back headphones, which often lack bass.
- Native DSD256 and MQA Support
- Improved Low-Jitter Clock over Original
- Powered by 16-Core XMOS Chip
- PowerMatch for Correct Headphone Gain
- TrueBass Switchable Analog Bass Boost
- Analog Volume Control
- 192 kHz PCM, 384 kHz DXD, DSD256
- Form Factor Tabletop
- Converter Type D/A Converter
- Number of Channels 2 x D/A
- Converter Circuitry D/A Chipset: Burr-Brown
- Max Sample Rate/Resolution 384 kHz / 32-Bit (DoD/DSD over PCM)
- Analog Audio
- I/O 2 x RCA Coaxial Unbalanced Line Output
- 1 x 4.4 mm TRRS Balanced Headphone Output
- 1 x 1/4" TRS Unbalanced Headphone Output
- Host Connection / USB 1 x USB Type-B (USB 3.0 / 3.1 Gen 1)
- Max Output Level RCA Line Outputs:
- +3.3 V (Switchable)
- 4.4 mm Headphone Outputs:
- +6.2 V (Switchable)
- Headphone Output Power
- 1/4": 230 mW into 32 Ohms
- 4.4 mm: 330 mW into 32 Ohms
- Headphone Outputs: < 1 Ohm
- Line Outputs: ≤ 200 Ohms (Balanced), ≤ 100 Ohms (Unbalanced)
- Dynamic Range: Outputs: > 116 dBA (-60 dBFS)
- Headphone Outputs: > -113 dBA (at 0 dBFS)
- Line Outputs: > -116 dBA (at 0 dBFS)
- Headphone Outputs: < 0.0005%
- Line Outputs: < 0.0015% (Balanced)
- Digital Audio
- Sample Rates 384 kHz
- Bit Depths Up to 32-Bit
- Digital Audio Decoding DSD
- Sync Sources Internal
- Power Requirements AC/DC Power Adapter (Not Included), USB Bus Power
- Power Consumption 1.5 W
- Dimensions 6.3 x 4.6 x 1.4" / 16 x 11.7 x 3.6 cm
- Weight 1.8 lb / 0.8 kg
- Packaging Info
- Package Weight 1.73 lb
- Box Dimensions (LxWxH) 10.8 x 6.2 x 2.3"
WARNING: California Residents - Proposition 65. This product can expose you to chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm. For more information, go to www.P65Warnings.ca.gov