Reference class phono preamplifier with unique impedance control
The Phono Box RS2 is the ultimate phono preamplifier of the highest class. It is fully balanced from the input to the output. Electronics are fully discrete, no op-amps are in use and it uses split passive RIAA and DECCA equalization.
A discrete circuit is composed of electronic components which are disparate, individual devices, also called discrete components. These can be “passive” components, like resistors, capacitors and inductors, as well as “active” components, which in our case are transistors. The opposite to this would be an integrated circuit, which uses operational amplifiers (Op-Amps) in the signal chain. Countless hours of listening tests and years of experience have shown us that even the very best Op-Amps do not tend to be so neutral, natural, dynamic or vivid. Standard phono pre-amplifiers with integrated circuits have a few tens or hundreds of components, but discrete designs will employ hundreds or thousands of components by comparison. That makes for an extended and more costly design process, but results in the best sound for your money.
The Phono Box RS2 employs a true fully balanced design principle. Balanced transmissions consist of a hot and a cold (also called + and -) signal. Both the + and – signal chains effectively carry the same musical information. A true balanced amplifier can now extract the final musical information out the +/- signals and subtract, remove, all noise that could potentially be added along the transmission. In a true, fully balanced amplifier, like the Phono Box RS2, the + and – sections of both the left and right channel are treated individually, which doubles the amplifier sections by 2 as a result.
- MM & MC capable
- Fully balanced, true dual mono design
- Fully discrete hardware design - NO Op-amps!
- Fully passive RIAA & DECCA equalisation
- Balanced XLR & unbalanced RCA In & Outputs
- Unique continously variable input impedance loading and channel balance control to match every cartridge to 100% (adjustment even while playing)
- Superior low noise / low distortion
- Metal casing protects against vibration and interference
- Input impedance Fixed 47kohms, variable 10 - 1000 ohms
- Load capacity switchable 50, 100, 150, 200, 250, 300, 350, 400 pF
- Gain MM: RCA: 40, 43, 46, 50 dB (+6dB using XLR)
- Gain MC: RCA: 60, 63, 66, 70 dB (+6dB using XLR)
- Signal to noise ratio
- MM (40dB): 89dB A-wt (10mV)
- MC (60dB): 79dB A-wt (1mV)
- THD < 0,0015% (MM 40dB, 1kHz); < 0,0024% (MC 60dB, 1kHz)
- RIAA accuracy within 0,4dB/20Hz - 20kHz SubsonIc at 20Hz with 18dB/octave
- Inputs RCA & XLR
- Outputs RCA & XLR
- Power supply 20V/3A DC; 110 - 240V, 50/60Hz
- Power consumption 350mA DC < 1 watt standby
- Dimensions: W x H x D (with sockets) 206 x 72 x 200 mm
- Weight: 1600 g without power supply
WARNING: California Residents - Proposition 65. This product can expose you to chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm. For more information, go to www.P65Warnings.ca.gov