RP8 is a ground-breaking turntable that takes Rega’s design philosophy further than ever before. A radical new plinth design using custom materials, the RB808 tonearm, 24v low voltage motor controlled by a customized hand-tuned electronic power supply, a triple-layer float-glass platter and a re-designed and improved version of Rega's Planar 9 precision engineered hub bearing assembly.
In 2013, RP8 was voted “one of the best designs of all time” by two of the worlds most respected designers, Apple’s Sir Jony Ive and Marc Newson.
The Evolution of Revolution
Evolution is a well proven and documented process in many areas of our lives. This applies in particular to design engineers and machines. Over the past 40 years, our cars have become more reliable and economical while we take for granted the reliability and speed of modern aircraft. Rega is no exception to evolution. Rega’s experience and previous achievements allow them to continually develop and produce better products. RP8 represents probably the biggest step forward in the evolution of Roy Gandy’s turntable design philosophies.
Low mass, high-rigidity plinths combined w/ electronically controlled low vibration motors, high flywheel effect platters and lower mass higher stability tonearms. The RP8 is the first of our “skeletal” design turntables offering ground breaking levels of performance and amazing value for money.
- NRB808 Tonearm—The RB808 tonearm is packed w/ new features pushing the boundaries of tonearm design. All Rega tonearms are meticulously hand built by a team of highly skilled technicians. RB808 has improved bearings and a tightened spindle fit tolerance over previous models (each bearing is individually selected to find the perfect match for the chosen spindle). This is a proven method of increasing the amount of detail retrieved from the record surface.
- Custom TT-PSU power supply—The compact TT-PSU uses a high stability, crystal locked, low distortion sine wave generator. This, along w/ an efficient drive amplifier fed from a stabilised DC power supply, generates a 24v AC balanced signal of less than 0.05% distortion, which is completely un-affected by any changes in the mains/line voltage and conditions. This then drives the improved Rega anti-vibration circuit built into the RP8 motor PCB.
- Aluminum Skin Phenolic - Dual Bracing—A super lightweight plinth combined w/ a double brace mounted specifically where the increased rigidity is required (between the tonearm mounting and the main hub bearing) forms a structurally sound “stressed beam” assembly. This design prevents energy absorption and unwanted resonances which will add un-natural distortions to the music.
- Super Flywheel Effect Triple Layer Glass Platter—The new RP8 three piece laminated glass platter is the result of collaboration w/ a small, emerging, young British glass engineering company. As a general rule the only part of a turntable that requires extra mass is the turntable platter in order to achieve constant rotational speed. However, a heavier platter creates more problems for the main bearing design so again an ideal compromise creates the best solution.
- Skeletal Plinth Design w/ Polyolefin Foam Core—Rega has always researched methods of producing light but stiff and rigid plinths. The technology is simple: unwanted noise at microscopic levels is developed by the turntable motor and main bearing. The plinth can also pick up airborne vibration from the music. The RP8 turntable utilizes a unique new stressed skin structure produced from thin phenolic skins sandwiching a featherweight nitrogen expanded, closed cell, polyolefin foam core. This material has been developed exclusively for Rega over a three year period. The RP8 plinth is 7 times lighter than the weight of the original Planar 3 plinth. Rega has added even more stiffness in the crucial area between the arm and the main bearing.
- De-Coupled Outer Frame and Dust Cover—A common problem for many skeletal design turntables is the inability to incorporate an effective dust cover into the design. Rega has constructed an outer frame that minimizes contact between the inner and outer plinth. The only points of contact are three location devices on the feet which centralizes the inner and outer plinths perfectly. This makes set-up extremely easy and allows the use of a dust cover. RP8 can be used without the outer frame if so desired.
- Key Features: Hand-made RB808 tonearm / precision-engineered bearing and aluminum sub platter/ triple layer float glass platter / custom matched TT-PSU individually tuned to its own motor / Rega’s pioneering skeletal plinth design / Apheta MC available as factory fitted (optional) / Magnesium and phenolic bracing
- Hand-made RB808 tonearm
- Precision engineered bearing and aluminum sub platter
- Triple-layer float-glass platter
- Custom-matched TT-PSU individually tuned to its own motor
- Rega’s pioneering skeletal plinth design
- Factory-fitted Apheta 2 MC cartridge available (optional)
- Aluminum skin phenolic bracing
WARNING: California Residents - Proposition 65. This product can expose you to chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm. For more information, go to www.P65Warnings.ca.gov