The Pro-Ject X2 has a design, with our underlying core philosophy and dedication to quality music performance that has all the high-end turntable concepts that take vinyl listening to the ultimate heights. But as is the way in h-fi many people still wanted more. They were willing to invest more because this is how much they fell in love with their newfound passion. It is hard to improve on such a well-performing turntable, but there are ways to do it.
We want the Pro-Ject X2 to lift the incredibly high standards, as set by its smaller brother the X1, to new heights. The X2 is made for those who take great joy in the fine details, the build quality, the high-grade materials, and standard-setting audio performance.
More mass in the chassis, platter, and tonearm: Structurally, the X2 is supported by its large, heavy, dense, and stiff MDF structure, reducing unwanted resonances to almost imperceptible levels. By adding this extra mass, the Pro-Ject X2 is even quieter, allowing the vinyl reproduction to become more detailed and precise. Inside, it houses a sophisticated DC/ AC generator board that, combined with the convenient speed control board, delivers clean and stable power to the silent motor system. The tonearm is longer – 9″ in length – and the tube has a wider diameter and the carbon/aluminum composite construction results in better internal damping. This also means, the entire tonearm bearing is upgraded to compensate for the extra mass; altogether tracking will be more precise, stable, and accurate.
Improved Motor and Suspension: A good motor by itself, is already very quiet. To get the best performance out of it, we further isolate it via a suspension. This will allow the motor to run stable and free from outside influences. The remaining vibrations are damped and eliminated, so they are not transmitted onto the chassis, platter, and cartridge. The X2‘s motor chassis is carefully balanced and suspended on a precision-tuned TPE isolator, effectively decoupling it from the main plinth for optimal performance.
High-end Cartridge: The X2 is supplied with a factory-mounted and aligned Sumiko Moonstone cartridge. Exceptionally well-balanced and capable of breathtaking dynamics, the Moonstone is one of the best tracking cartridges we have ever measured, regardless of price. As a bonus, the stylus is field replaceable should it become worn or damaged. Isolation from external vibrations is achieved with newly developed Aluminum/ThermoPlastic Elastomer composite feet which are height-adjustable.
Premium Phono Interconnect Cable: Compared to other digital and analog music sources, the signal coming from a turntable cartridge is very fragile in nature and cheap RCA cables often do not provide the ideal conditions for getting a phono signal to an amplifier. The Connect-it E RCA cable is designed for this exact application. Our Connect-it E is a semi-balanced, low capacitance cable, with superior shielding, making it ideal for use with phono-level signals. The X2 has all the high-end features of modern turntable designs to maximize the music and listening experience.
The X2 has been meticulously engineered to offer performance-focused features for the best possible price. Our decades-long experience in analog technologies, modern CNC machinery, and old-world craftsmanship is evident in the fit and finish. Hand-assembled in Europe, in an ISO 9001 certified facility every turntable goes through extensive QC and burn-in to ensure reliability for decades to come.
- Electronic speed control with 33/45 rpm speed change, which acts as “Speed Box” with ultimate speed stability
- Electronically regulated precision motor with improved damping construction for the least amount of vibration and noise
- Sub-platter with extremely low 0.001mm bearing tolerances
- Stainless steel platter-bearing with soft bronze bushing and Teflon mirrors for lowest rumble and noise and stable, accurate speed transmission
- 9” one-piece tonearm tube with best internal damping via the ultra-rigid carbon/alu sandwich construction
- TPE damped counterweight reduces arm-cartridge resonances by 50%
- Azimuth and VTA adjustment
- High-performance, resonance-optimized Sumiko Moonstone phono cartridge
- Resonance free, 2 kg heavy acryl platter
- Heavy, 50mm thick, highest quality CNC‘d MDF chassis
- Luxury 8 layers of painting and hand-polished finish or real-wood, satin-waxed veneer
- Super shielded, semi-symmetrical, low-capacitance phono cables – purpose-designed by Pro-Ject
- Height adjustable, alu machined, vibration-absorbing feet
- Handmade in Europe
- Nominal speeds: 33/45/78 r.p.m.
- Speed variance 33: ±0.25 %, 45: ±0.20 %
- Wow and flutter 33: ±0.12 %, 45: ±0.10 %
- Signal to noise: 70dB
- Effective tonearm mass: 13.5g
- Effective tonearm length: 9 ” (230mm)
- Overhang: 18mm
- Power consumption: 5W/ 0.3W standby mode
- Outboard power supply: 15V/ 0.8 A DC, universal power supply
WARNING: California Residents - Proposition 65. This product can expose you to chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm. For more information, go to www.P65Warnings.ca.gov