The X1 Turntable is based on the same concept as the P1 but improved in every aspect thanks to modern materials and sophisticated new production methods. While the basic design philosophy remains unchanged, there are myriad improvements in virtually every element of the new X1. Eight layers of paint and a hand-polished finish provide an exquisite look and feel, that will last for generations. Inside, a sophisticated DC/AC generator board, combined with the convenient speed control board, delivers clean and stable power to the quiet running motor. The motor is decoupled from the plinth via a new motor suspension system that isolates and quells vibrations. In the X1, the motor drives a heavy, 1.5 kg non-resonant acrylic platter via a sub-platter drive system and a premium-grade main bearing for liquid-smooth rotation. This is the perfect platform on which to place your precious vinyl records, guaranteeing absolute reliability in its performance and sonic character.
The X1 incorporates a newly developed Carbon Fiber/ Aluminum composite construction tonearm. This 8.6” tonearm design is incredibly light and stiff, with remarkable resistance to external interference. With an integrated headshell and one-piece tonearm wiring, the X1 also provides azimuth and VTA adjustment, offering the flexibility for optimization with a huge range of cartridges.
The factory installs and aligns the amazing new Sumiko Olympia cartridge simplifying the setup, and providing superb tracking ability as well as a very musical and engaging presentation. Olympia offers not only a replaceable stylus but can also be easily upgraded in the future with the Sumiko Moonstone stylus, without the need to realign the cartridge. The tonearm utilizes TPE damped counterweight, minimizing resonances. The X1 is also supplied with our Connect it cables, a semi-balanced, low-capacitance cable with superior shielding optimized for turntable use.
Considerations for 78rpm Records
X1 ships with 2 different belts. The flat belt is for 33 & 45rpm discs and is installed on the top/smaller diameter of the motor pulley. The round one is for 78rpm records only. It is designed for use with the larger/bottom pulley diameter with the differently shaped slot. Installing the 78rpm belt incorrectly compromises its integrity and may lead to breakage.
Additionally, please note that it’s also not advisable to play 78rpm records with the Olympia stylus. Being an elliptical diamond meant to track the ‘microgrooves’ of 33s & 45s, it will sound poor and cause undue harm to disc (and potentially the cartridge!). Sumiko has developed a 78 stylus for this very reason – now shipping! The stylus tracks the grooves properly and reduces the risk of harm to your collection. Keep in mind that Olympia is a stereo MM phono cartridge, meaning that its normal job is to transcribe 2 channels (left and right) of musical information. When using the 78 stylus with Olympia, what you’ll hear is the one channel of musical information (mono) of the 78 in both stereo channels. For audiophile purposes, as it pertains to 78s, a true mono cartridge with a 78-appropriate stylus delivers the best sonics.
- Speed control with electronic speed switch for ultimate speed stability
- Carefully isolated motor for less vibration and noise
- Sub-platter with extremely low 0.001mm bearing tolerances
- Stainless steel platter-bearing with soft brass bushing and Teflon mirrors for lowest rumble and noise, and a stable, accurate speed transmission
- Resonance free, 1.5 kg heavy acryl platter
- 8,6” carbon/alum sandwich tonearm with best internal damping and TPE damped counterweight
- Kardan ultra-low friction 4 pinpoint precision tonearm bearing
- High performance, resonance optimized Sumiko Olympia phono cartridge
- Massive and heavy, precision CNC‘d MDF chassis
- Luxurious 8 layers of painting and hand-polished finish or real-wood, satin-waxed veneer
- Super shielded, semi-symmetrical, low-capacitance Pro-Ject phono cables
- Height adjustable, aluminum feet for massively reduced risk of acoustical feedback
- Handmade in Europe
- Nominal speeds: 33/45/78 r.p.m.
- Speed variance 33: ±0.30 %, 45: ±0.25 %
- Wow and flutter 33: ±0.15 %, 45: ±0.13 %
- Signal to noise: 68dB
- Effective tonearm mass: 10g
- Effective tonearm length: 8.6 ” (218.5mm)
- Overhang: 18mm
- Power consumption: 5W/ 0.3W standby mode
- Outboard power supply: 15V/ 0.8 A DC, universal power supply
WARNING: California Residents - Proposition 65. This product can expose you to chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm. For more information, go to www.P65Warnings.ca.gov